Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ship Cake

First off let me say this cake could have been so much cuter if I scheduled better and made more time for the details! This was for my twins 7th birthday and I spent so much time getting everything ready for the party that I ended up on a time crunch and was decorating this Late at night when I was far past ready for bed! Luckily everything else for the party was so cute the cake was able to skate by :) Here is what you'll need:

Cake
Frosting
Pretzel Sticks
Pretzel Rod
Soft round candy (taffy, reeses, ect.)
Loaf Pans (big and small)
Construction Paper

Building
BUILDING:
I baked 2 regular sized loaf cakes then 2 mini loaf cakes. The main base is one of the regular loafs. The ends are the second loaf cut into triangles. I stacked 2 on top of each other then placed then on each of the ends. The mini loafs are on top of the main loaf and next to the triangle ends. I cut them on an angle to give it a sloped appearance and try to make more of a boat shaped appearance. I also stuck the pretzel rods aka the sails in to try to decide where I would want them after it was frosted. I have found it's a good idea to toy around with some of your details before you've frosted so you don't have as much frosting to fix once you like where it is.

Frosting
FROSTING:
I only used 2 tips for the frosting on this one and it went super fast! Because I wanted it to look like a wooden ship I was able to do long strokes from end to end. It's chocolate frosting using tip #47 and it helped give it a log or wood like texture.The blue was tip #32 frosted wavy on the bottom to look like water.

Details
DETAILS:
As I said in the beginning of this post this cake could have been so much cuter! I had a lot more detail I wanted to add but the party was in a few hours and I needed to go to bed! So here is what I did do: I used the pretzel rods and construction paper for the sails and the helm is a reeses with pretzel sticks stuck in it (but any round soft candy would work). I tried for a Crows nest but the few things I tried made it too heavy and knocked the sail down so we went without.
Now here is what else I should have done: A Graham cracker plank. One little Graham cracker rectangle stuck off the side would have made an excellent plank! And Whopper Cannon's. Whoppers stuck into the side of the ship could look like the cannons that it could shoot from and would have been awesome!

Finishing
FINISHING:
There weren't any last finishing touches I added before the party really other then a pirate ship balloon to help get the point across of what we were shooting for since this cake was pretty simple. At the end of the day all that matters though is that it is yummy and this one was delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment