Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dump Truck Cake

I was so happy with the way this dump truck turned out! There is very little cutting or shaping involved so it's a great beginner cake!
Here is what I used:
Cake
Frosting
Oreo's
Chocolate Cake Donuts
Side View of Cake
CAKE:
I baked one rectangle cake, two square cakes, a big loaf and a mini loaf to build this cake.
I wanted the back of the truck to look tilted to emphasize that it's a dump truck. To do this I cut one of the square cakes on an angle. I started at the top right side of the cake and cut down to the bottom left side of the cake. Then I pulled them apart and stacked the two thick sides together so that it angled down. Then I stacked the second square cake on top of that.

Front View of Cake

BUILDING:
After I got the back end situated I stacked the mini loaf on the big loaf and the big loaf on the front of the rectangle. The mini loaf was a little longer then I wanted so I trimmed that down.

Bottom Front Frosted
DECORATING:
To decorate it I frosted it in yellow frosting. Then piped the detail (bumper, grill, truck outline and window) in black frosting. The little boy this was for is named Cam so I made a license plate with his name on it using oreo cream filling and black frosting.

Finished Dump Truck

FINISHING:
The finishing details were the "dirt" it's hauling and the tires. The dirt is just crunched up oreo's and crackers. The wheels are Chocolate cake donuts and the headlights are miniature yellow marshmellows. He turned 3 so there is a three on the top of the cake. The left over dirt I sprinkled on the cake board.
This cake is very cute and easy And it feeds a lot of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment