Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giraffe Cake

This cake had a lot of firsts for me but turned out pretty good.
Here is what I used:
Cake
Frosting
Pretzels
Toothpicks

Back view built
BUILDING:
This was the first time I tried to bake a cake in a bowl. To get it to cook all the way through use a little bit lower heat setting and cook it longer. Make sure the center is cooked! I used two bowls the same size for the majority of the head and stacked them to make a round head. Before stacking them I trim the tops of so that they are nice and flat and sit flush together. Then I used a third little bowl for the very top of the head. For the ears I used a tiny square and cut it diagonally making two triangles and used those for the ears. For the mouth I used a cupcake.

Front View decorating
DECORATING:
I decorated it in yellow frosting. Then I got to use a cool new tip! It's the #233 tip and is so cool! It can be used for grass or hair and in this case I used it for some hair on the top of its head. I used some black and some brown for the details (spots, eyes, mouth and ears).

Finished Giraffe

FINISHING:
To finish it I used pretzel rods for the horns. I dropped a star of brown frosting on the top of the pretzels to hide where I cut them to shorten them. The only thing I would do differently would be the mouth. It doesn't look quite right to me but overall it was pretty cute for our Jungle themed party.

No comments:

Post a Comment