Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Train Cake

My all time favorite cake so far is the train cake! It is super easy and is absolutely adorable!
Here is a list of everything I used:

Black licorice
Kit Kats
Chocolate cake
Frosting
Oreo's
Gummy Bears
Marshmellows
Popcorn
Coconut


The tracks

TRACKS:
The kit kats and licorice made the tracks. I had a hard time getting the licorice to balance on the kit kats and thought about using frosting to glue them together but when I placed the cake on top everything stayed in place pretty well and I didn't end up needing to use any frosting. If you were going to transport the cake then I would recommend using a little frosting to make sure everything stays.

The train
CAKE:
I baked 4 mini loafs and one big loaf. Three of the mini loafs are the cars and the one big one is the front of the train. The last mini loaf I used for the front of the train.

Details
DETAILS:
I used a #18 star tip to frost the majority of the train (everything in blue). The tops of the mini loafs I just frosted white so that the gummy bears and marshmellows would stick. The third car I left white to pipe my sons name on and to put the cowboy on. Then I put oreo's on for the wheels and piped a yellow window and a yellow grill on the front. For the piping I used a #5 tip.

The Finished Train
FINISHING:
The finishing touches were the popcorn steam and the coconut grass. I also crumbled some Oreo's up for dirt around the tracks. The popcorn is on threaded onto a piece of thin craft wire and stuck into the cake. I tried big white marshmellows and mini marshmellows but they were to heavy. The popcorn works great and looks awesome! The coconut I put in a bag with some green dye and mushed  it until it was the color I wanted and then sprinkled it onto the cake board. This was the finished product! My cowboy of a little boy was thrilled and it was a huge hit at the party!


No comments:

Post a Comment